Bayou State Fishing - Fishing Southeast Louisiana

Hi there,

Please consider registering for an account. Registration is free, only takes a minute and will allow you to access members only boards. If you already have an account with us, then click here to log in.

Please post your fishing report in the reports section, good or bad.

Author Topic: Fishing from land  (Read 8986 times)

Offline WestwegoManTopic starter

• King Fisher
  • BSF Administrator
  • Segnette Fishing Team
  • Respect: +5
  • Release in grease!
  • Referrals: 2
    • Bayou State Fishing
  • Boat: Flat
  • Motor: Yamaha
Fishing from land
« on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:00 PM »
I'm working on a page for the site for non-boaters. I want to list areas for some bank fishing along the southshore and since I am a sheltered Westbanker, I would like to seek y'alls input. If you know of any good bank fishing areas, please share.

Going to include areas like Bayou Segnette State Park, Jean Lafitte NHP, Bonnabel Boat launch as well as a few others that I know in my area.

Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2014, 1:39 PM by WestwegoMan »
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the hind end of poachers and may their arms be too short to scratch!!

Offline 504jay

• Swamp Rat
  • Respect: +1
  • I live to fish!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Fishing from land
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2014, 8:07 PM »
+1
There are plenty of bank fishing spots in port sulphur empire boothville and venice especially the pumping stations

• King Fisher
  • BSF Administrator
  • Segnette Fishing Team
  • Release in grease!
    • Bayou State Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2014, 9:09 PM »
Cool. Unless it is one of your secret spots, could you fill me in on some details of one spot and I'll include it on the page. ;)
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the hind end of poachers and may their arms be too short to scratch!!

Offline daniel

• Swamp Rat
  • Respect: +1
  • I live to fish!
  • Boat: 18ft. flat (sold)
  • Motor: 65 yamaha (sold)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2014, 5:56 PM »
+1
When the river floods into the Bonnet Carre Spillway they get a lot of catfish and an occasional bass or 2. They also have a lot of mullet also. When the river isn't flooding the spillway, ya can get some nice blue crab and softshell turtles. Also, when the river water is drained to the lake you can go crawfishing too and catch some nice sized crawfish. They also have a lot of other fish in there I am leaving out.

Down off old 59 (I wouldn't bring kids younger than like 8-10 years old out there for safety reasons), they have a few spots that ya pull to the side to road to fish and ya can get some nice perch and catfish too. They also have other fish I am probably leaving out.

If you keep going down old 59 until ya hit the Ruddock boat launch you can fish from the boat launch so you aren't on the highway. There you can also catch some perch and catfish too. Ya can also throw out the crab traps and such too.

Don't know how much ya enjoy/miss fishing until ya start posting the fish ya catch.  [fisherman_fishing.gif] [smiley=rofl]
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2014, 5:58 PM by daniel »

• King Fisher
  • BSF Administrator
  • Segnette Fishing Team
  • Release in grease!
    • Bayou State Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 8:04 PM »
Not sure how the spillway escaped my brain. Thanks!

Just added it. :)

Offline noctrenal fishing mammal

• Worm Wrangler
  • Respect: 0
  • my other fishing pole in an ugly stick.
  • Boat: 18x60 Tracker Grizzly
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2014, 6:26 AM »
on the North side of the lake, we have Sunset Point, which is a really nice pier that the city put up, plenty of space, nice lighting for night fishing ( :D ), I have seen people pull in rays, gar, sharks, catfish, trout, but that was last year, No, clue what this year will hold.  We also have the dock by the Mandeville Marina (the old sailing club) they actually have a nice boat lunch there, but I think you have to be a member to use the it. The brake water is also out there, so you could walk to the end of that, which pretty much put you in the lake. Lake road in Lacombe is always a nice choice, the crabbing is spectacular out there usually, down Lake road is a fairly newish boat lunch with a fishing pier. also a few small bridges to hit up with the cast net for some nice free live bait. The very end of Lake road is a big Cul-de-sac, that puts you pretty much in the lake, nice pilings, shallows, and the deep-ish lake all together. Just be careful, plenty of gators (I see them every time I go out, in-fact yesterday the wife and I saw3 gators sunning on top the water in the bayou Lacombe as it winds up to lake road. nice size ones to boot.  One was pretty big at least a 10 footer. The others not so much, but big enough that you would not want to jump in with them. then you have the main street boat lunch in Lacombe, but there is normally a few people always fishing the one cleared spot, and its tuff to fish from the dock because people want to put their boats in the water and the docks are not real big.  but if you can catch it in the middle of the week (when everyone is suppose to be at work), you can Normally bring in some nice perch and bass.

these spots are no a secret, they are well fished areas that people continue to fish, that means that they are tried, tested and approved to have been successful at producing fish. you should avoid these areas during the typical fishing times as they are over crowded and have plenty of children (under the age of 9). you guys all know exactly what I mean, just because its fun to fish with my kids, don't mean its fun to fish with yours, no offense.
stay classy

• King Fisher
  • BSF Administrator
  • Segnette Fishing Team
  • Release in grease!
    • Bayou State Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2014, 8:53 AM »
just because its fun to fish with my kids, don't mean its fun to fish with yours, no offense.

None taken, I know what ya mean. ;)

Thanks for the info. I'll work on adding some of that to the page when I do some editing on the main site.

Offline scoot

• Bayou Bandit
  • Respect: +2
  • I live to fish!
  • Boat: 14 ft. jonboat
  • Motor: 25 hp yamaha
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:09 AM »
What about City Park on the east bank. 
Catch and keep enough to eat in one day and release the rest. Sooooo you can go back tomorrow.

• King Fisher
  • BSF Administrator
  • Segnette Fishing Team
  • Release in grease!
    • Bayou State Fishing
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2014, 7:51 PM »
What about City Park on the east bank. 
Great one. I'll add it in the morning.